Date: 31 August – 5 September 2020
Host: DrukREN, DITT, MoIC
In order to address the capacity development needs of the research & education institutes in the country, DITT/MoIC is organising Technical Workshop on “Campus Network Routing and Switching” (4 Days) and “Network Monitoring and Management” (2 Days) in collaboration with Office of Vice Chancellor, Royal University of Bhutan. The workshop is tailored for Network Engineers and IT Managers from universities/research organizations all over Bhutan. The primary objective of the workshop is to help DrukREN members harness the high-speed national services provided by DrukREN. The workshop will be followed by a visit to 6 selected institutes to explore solutions to improve its campus network performance, security and reliability.
There will be three activities that would be carried out as follows:
- Campus Network Routing & Switching Workshop: 31 August – 3 September 2020
- Network Monitoring & Management:4-5 September 2020
- Direct Engineering Assistance (DEA): DEA activity will be immediately arranged after the completion of the workshop so that DrukREN Member ICT engineers will obtain relevant training just prior to the activity.
Campus Network Routing & Switching
The workshop is made up of lectures and lab exercises. The lab exercises will use Cisco iOS configuration syntax. Following topics will be covered:
- Network design principles
- Physical infrastructure (cabling and cabling installation)
- Switching (spanning tree, VLANs, L2 best practices)
- Routing (static routing)
- IPv4, IPv6 and deploying dual stack infrastructure
- Choosing routers and switches
- Campus security implementation and best practices
Detailed workshop agenda will be made available shortly.
Network Management & Monitoring
The workshop is made up of lectures and lab exercises. The lab exercises will run on Ubuntu Linux Server. Following topics will be covered:
- Introduction to Network Monitoring and Management
- Installation & configuration of network monitoring and management tools
- Smokeping Nagios
- Netflow, NfSen
- Network Operation Center (NOCs)
- Network Documentation
- Netdot (Network Documentation Tool)
- RT (Request Tracker)
- Log management
Detailed workshop agenda will be made available shortly
DIRECT ENGINEERING ASSISTANCE (DEA)
DEA activity will be immediately arranged after the completion of the workshop so that DrukREN Member ICT engineers will obtain relevant training just prior to the activity. DEA field activities shall consist of addressing specific requests for network design and operations to solve identified problems at a campus network of following institutes:
- College of Science of Technology (CST), Phuentsholing, Chhukha, Bhutan
- Paro College of Education (PCE), Paro, Bhutan
- Gedu College of Business Studies (GCBS), Chhukha, Bhutan
- Sherubtse College, Kanglung, Trashigang, Bhutan
- Jigme Namgyal Engineering College, Samdrup Jongkhar, Bhutan
- Khesar Gyalpo University of Medical Sciences of Bhutan, Thimphu, Bhutan
Colleges under Royal University of Bhutan were selected by the Office of Vice Chancellor, Royal University of Bhutan.
DEA will be led by the Office of Vice Chancellor (OVC), Royal University of Bhutan (RUB) who will work side-by-side on-site with ICT engineers of selected institutes to identify and implement region-appropriate solutions. DEA Team will make use of Network Startup Resource Center (NSRC) model i.e use local hands to develop local expertise for their network environment. Thus the responsible engineers of the selected institutes will implement the recommended changes themselves, working shoulder-to-shoulder with OVC, RUB.
DITT, MoIC will also invite 3-4 Network Engineers of other DrukREN members to accompany the DEA Team at the 6 selected institutes.
All the participants are required to complete the survey on the last of the workshop.